We welcome your family on this joyous occasion of the celebration of your child’s/godchild’s baptism! We look forward to assisting your family in preparing for the baptism of your child. The baptism preparation session at St. Joseph is designed to provide the formation and information needed to fully understand the Sacrament of Baptism and your role as a Catholic parent/godparent.
May the Lord continue to bless your lives with love and the assurance that this child will be held dearly in the palm of God’s hand!
The following are the requirements for baptism here at St. Joseph Catholic Church.
For Parents: Parents must be registered and active members of the Parish for three months before beginning the baptismal preparation process. An “active member” is properly registered on the parish rolls, faithfully attends Mass on Sundays and Holy Day, participates in parish activities/ministries when possible, and uses the parish envelope system for donations.
- Download and complete the Baptism Registration form and return it to the parish office or by e-mailing it to us. You may also come into the parish office.
- Infant Baptism are usually celebrated on the third Sunday of the month.
- Baptism date will be scheduled after the parents and godparents have attended a Baptismal Preparation Class and documentation has been received three (3) weeks before the Baptism date.
- Our Baptismal Preparation Class is held the first Sunday of each month at 10:15 am in the Pastoral Office Conference Room. Please contact our Baptism Coordinator at 772-287-2727 ext. 109 to RSVP for the class.
What are the requirements for godparents (sponsors)?
Godparents are members of the Christian community who, by their lives and their faith, set a good example for the child whose initiation into this community they are sponsoring. Godparents may also support the parents in the upbringing of the child as a Catholic Christian. They should be able to stay in communication with the child as he or she is growing up.
Individuals selected to be the Godparents must complete a Baptism Preparation class and have the eligibility form, provided by the parish office, signed by their Parish which indicating the following have been met:
- At least one Godparent must be an active, registered parishioner, at least 16 years of age and Baptized and Confirmed in the Catholic Faith.
- They can be married or single. However, if they are married, they must be married in the Catholic Church. The two Godparents do not have to be married to one another.
- A Godparent Eligibility Form will be provided for Godparents to fill out, have signed by their Pastor, and return before the baptism.
- Registration for Pre- Baptismal class must be submitted by 5:00 pm on the Thursday before the class.
Videos on Baptism
Sacrament 101: Baptism (why we baptize)
Sophia SketchPad: Baptism